Pages

Thursday, October 14, 2010

4-Alarm Chili

I got this recipe from LowCarbConfidential.com and I believe it was adapted from Atkins.com, which is my favorite new website. I had never looked at the Atkins diet before, but I've come to realize that the recipes are perfect for us since Paul's daily eating habits involve a VERY low-carb diet. But, I'm not that crazy about the amount of fat allowed in the diet, so I do plan on adapting these recipes so the fat content isn't an issue. I made this chili recipe last week and we both loved it. Blue type are my changes.

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
8 garlic cloves, minced
4 finely chopped jalapeƱo chiles 2 chiles are plenty
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Green Bell or Red Bell, chopped
1 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 pounds ground beef, I used 4% fat...with slow-cook method & all added flavor, you can't tell a difference.
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese, serve with chili

In a large pot , drizzle olive oil over the sides and bottom and put on Med to Med-Hi heat. Then throw in everything in the following order: onions, meat, tomatoes (add tomatoes last), garlic, jalapeƱos, red pepper, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon (YUCK!! No Cinnamon) and salt. Once boiling, turn to a simmer and let cook for an hour. I used a dutch oven, cooked everything together on the stove to get started, then cooked in the oven at 325 degrees for 3 hours. You can also cook in crock-pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it clean!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...