Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Vanity of Vanities

For a while now Paul has been reading two pages a day of "My Imitation of Christ" by Thomas `a Kempis, and as of last night so am I.

I used to read a couple of pages a night a few years ago, but for some reason I stopped. The thing that's great about My Imitation of Christ is that in every chapter there will be something that either speaks to you or you just needed read at that moment.

I highly recommend having a copy of My Imitation of Christ on your nightstand or by your favorite seat on the sofa. I also recommend getting THIS VERSION, I say that because there are copies out there where the language is easier to read, but I think it actually takes something away from that which you are reading.

In Last night Chapter:

“Vanity of Vanities, and all is vanity” [ECCLES. 1, 2] except to love God and serve Him alone. This is the highest wisdom, by despising the world to tend to heavenly kingdoms.

It is vanity, therefore, to seek after riches which must perish and to trust in them.

It is vanity also to be ambitious of honors, and to raise one’s self t to a high station.

It is vanity to follow the lusts of the flesh and to desire that for which thout must afterwards be grievously punished.

It is vanity to wish for a long life and to take little care of leading a good life.

It is vanity to love that which passeth with all speed and not to hasten thither where ever-lasting joy remaineth.

Often remember that proverb: “The eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor is the ear filled with hearing.” [ECCLES 1,8]

Study, therefore, to withdraw thy heart from the love of visible things, and to turn thyself to things invisible. For they that follow their sensuality defile their conscience and lose the grace of God.


1 comment:

  1. ONe of my favorites and also Daily Bread. I love that one too.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep it clean!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...